If you are interested in volunteering with IBEC feel free to contact us by email, phone or stop by the office. Below are ideas of potential volunteer opportunities – however, there are many more ways to be involved!
Water Quality Testing
IBEC has partnered with Saint Mary’s University in the CURA H2O program in order to monitor water quality within the Indian Bay watershed region. IBEC has conducted water testing of surface water at a variety of sites to identify water quality risks within our watershed. If interested, volunteers could assist with:
- Helping with various water quality initiatives such as surface water testing
- Informing us of potential sites for future water quality testing
The purpose of the EcoAction Project is for IBEC to become involved with the community to restore, protect and enhance the Indian Bay environment. Additionally, IBEC plans to develop a community based stewardship program. Community members are encouraged to volunteer with us and can get involved in many ways, such as:
- General litter clean-up around the community and watershed
- Opportunities for tree and shrub planting
- Help with community events and festivals
- Removing debris along riparian/buffer zones
This education program is sponsored by Ducks Unlimited Canada. IBEC has been involved with this program for the past two years. IBEC coordinates field trips in May and June of each year in the Indian Bay area allowing young students to explore local wetlands. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Helping to supervise Grade 4 and 5 students as they arrive on site and accompany them on the field trip.
- Helping students with their lunch at the IBEC office
- Teach one of the activities in the field trip program (i.e. a) critter dipping, b) bird watching, c) wetland activity.
- Building and placement of bird boxes
- General restoration work around the community and watershed
Extra hands and ideas are always welcome!